Thursday, May 10, 2018

Noir? Moi?

Light streamed through the cracked window on expressways. One beam illuminated the brim of the detective's hat, half his nose, and one corner of his mouth. The corner curled up into a smirk.

"Sure, I can help you. What's in it for me?"

"I figure two fifty a day is plenty, with two grand in the end if you solve everything successfully."

The detective sat up straight. The blonde in the red dress narrowed her eyes.

"So, you thought this was some stereotypical noir," she started. "Well, I'm sorry to shatter your expectations. Sure I'm sexy but I can pay and I can fight. The only reason I need you is because you've got the license."

The detective stood up in a defensive start. By the time he hit full height, however, he'd reconsidered his ire. Two grand and almost double what he hoed for daily was not something to pass on when the option arose. Still, he felt defensive.


"I'll need something up front," he was able to collect his thoughts. "I can't exactly start an investigation for free you know."

"Money's not an issue - just find my husband."

An envelope appeared from some hidden pocket and slapped on the desk. The two met eyes.

"That should cover the first week. The next depends on what I hear from you in that time."

A handful of seconds passed between the two.

Both sets of eyes narrowed.

"Deal."

The detective reached out his hand to secure the deal.

After another moment, the woman accepted the offered hand. It was a small gesture toward the bigger issue. The two met eyes for on last second.

There was an exhalation of air, after which the woman in the red dress departed.

The door clacked shut.

The detective collapsed into his chair with a great breath. He picked up the envelope. He grunted.

The job was a glass of cool water in the desert, and he was damned if he didn't know it.

[written 10 Mar '18]

No comments:

Post a Comment