Wednesday, May 2, 2018

FTL

[WP] Humans have discovered faster-than-light travel, with a method oddly suited to them, sheer stubbornness in the face of physics.

"So, let me get this straight, we just have to force it?"

"Yep-a-rooni." The phrase sounded odd coming from the cigar-chomping man's mouth.

"How... how does one go about that?" Like most recruits, the questioner was a clean cut kid with a spotless navy blue uniform.

"Gotta put your shoulder into it."

"Into what, exactly?"

"It! You know, when the vessel's going as fast as it can, you just give it a nudge. A little tap. Hell, a big tap."

"But that... that shouldn't work."

"It'll work if I say it works! What does the universe think it is? Who fuckin' invented physics? We did." With that, the man took a big pull from his cigar and spat on the ground. "And we'll god-damn break it if need be."

The younger man stared, somewhat incredulous.

"What about, you know, all the space-time stuff that got us here?"

"Fuck it - we're better than that. All you need to know is that, when you've hit light speed, go a little faster."

"I'm... I'm not sure how to do that."

"Well, you're going to have to goddamn learn if you plan on being anybody."

"I suppose you're right. I'll give it a try on my next assignment."

"Good lad. Now, let's go crack open some atoms."

No comments:

Post a Comment