Saturday, July 8, 2023

Turtle and Alligator

Art by Aubri

"See ya later, Alligator," said Turtle to Alligator.

"In a while, Crocodile," replied Alligator. 

Turtle paused, turned his head, and gave Alligator a quizzical look. 

"I'm a turtle, not a crocodile,"

"I know, Turtle," Alligator replied. "It's just a saying." 

"What do you mean it's a saying? Who says it? 

"I don't know, it's just something people say."

"We're not ‘people,’" Turtle declared. 

The two sat looking at each other for a moment. 

"It's just a cute saying that rhymes is all," Alligator defended. "I didn't mean anything by it other than to say goodbye. 

"You could have just said goodbye"

"I could have, yes, but the way you said goodbye rhymed and I wanted to have a little fun with it."

"Ah." 

Turtle and Alligator sat in their sunning spots for a few minutes, neither saying a word. It was Alligator who eventually broke the silence.

"I thought you were leaving?"

"It's a free country," Turtle retorted.

"I'm not pushing you, sorry, I just thought you were going to leave since you said goodbye and all."

"Well, all this crocodile talk and stuff really put me off dinner."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to open a can of worms." 

"You have a can of worms on you?" 

"Ugh. No. Another saying. I didn't mean to start a whole discussion about sayings and idioms and whatever. You're my friend, Turtle, and I just want you to have a nice day." 

"It's okay, Alligator," said Turtle. "I suppose I got a little snappy." 

"Alright, well, I'm not done sunning," said Alligator. "So I'm going to snooze for a bit.

"Sleep tight," Turtle said, a grin slowly crawling across its face. "And don't let -- 

"Screw you, Turtle." 


No comments:

Post a Comment