Friday, July 14, 2023

A Modern Prometheus

 Dr. Thomas Frank was not looking forward to this particular appointment. It wasn't a bad person or something specifically unenjoyable; rather a large lunch and hot weather had combined to make him incredibly tired. As he contemplated laying on the floor and taking a nap while he waited for the appointment to start, the buzzer sounded.

"Stone's here," the voice on the intercom said.

"Come in," he called out.

"Hey Doc," the patient - one Jack Stone - greeted as he made his way in. "Hot one today, eh?"

"I've been in my office all day, but the air conditioning is barely keeping up." Dr. Frank agreed. "I'm not looking forward to going out in it later."

"Yeah, with the heat and humidity I'm just about beat." Stone punctuated with a long sigh. "I'm afraid I'm going to fall asleep mid-sentence if I'm not careful."

Dr. Frank laughed politely. "Yeah, I'm in the same boat."

The two men shuffled around for a moment as their bodies formed into psychologist and patient postures.

"Hey Doc," Stone broke in. "I'm really beat. Do you have any coffee or anything in this place?"

"Not really, no." Dr. Frank paused for a moment. "But now that you mention it, I could really use a pick-me-up too. Maybe I can send out for something."

"If we're doing that, maybe we could get something high test? An energy drink or something?"

Dr. Frank nodded slowly for a second, then nodded a couple big 'I've made a decision' nods. He pressed a button on the intercom."

"Shelly, would you run to the corner and pick up a couple energy drinks for Mr. Stone and myself?" He raised an eyebrow toward Stone as he continued. "Whatever you grab first will be fine." Stone, for his part, nodded his assent.

"Sure thing!" the intercom answered. Dr. Frank conveyed his thanks and sighed a 'reset' sigh.

With that task set in motion, the two men began the session in earnest. Stone began with what was bothering him and laid out some things left unresolved from the previous session.

"Really though, is it wrong of me to want to be as knowledgeable as possible?" Stone was in the middle of asking when the buzzer sounded again.

"Who is it?" Dr. Frank asked, having momentarily forgotten about the errand.

"It's Shelly - with Dr. Frank and Stone's Monster."

No comments:

Post a Comment