Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Demon's Visit

There came a great triplet of knocks from the front door.

"Who could be calling at this hour?" Amanda thought, navigating through a darkened hallway. She'd been careful not to seem like she was reacting to the visitor until she knew it was safe.

As she silently peered through the peep-hole, she saw two demonic eyes meet hers and a mouth full of sharp teeth stretch into a smile.




"Hello!" a dark voice boomed, cheerfully.

"Hello?"

"Yes, yes, I can see you. Can I come in? If I wanted to hurt you I would have done so already."

"Who - who are you?" Amanda asked through the closed door.

"I'm Isolation and I felt it was time to chat for a bit."

"Now?"

"Now."

Amanda hesitated a moment longer before opening the door.

"What do you want to talk about?

"First, tea. Second, let's sit in the living room. Okay?"

"Okay." It wasn't like she was going to ignore the jet black scaly creature in the ill-fitting plaid sports coat. With tea made and awkward glances exchanged, the settled down on a couple couches.

"Well, it's about time you stopped going out so much. It's just not healthy."

"What? I don't understand."

"Let's not bullshit ourselves here. There are two reasons you have your beer belly and no money: you are either out drinking to meet new people and stave me off for a bit longer or you are drinking just to forget I exist. Well, I don't appreciate it. So, now I'm here."

"Oh. I see. And what do I do about you?"

"Well, I'll be here until you die and I've been here since you were born, so you'd best just get used to me. We can certainly be friends, but a mere nod every once in a while would be good."

"Anything I should do? Like... eat more greens?"

"How about repeating this every morning: I will die, I am alone, I must make my own meaning, and I can always just end it."

"A bit morbid."

"Yeah, but better than being afraid."

No comments:

Post a Comment