Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Climb

It was going to be a long way up, but I knew it'd be worth the trouble. I'd been looking for some new hunting grounds, and the remoteness of this spot seemed ideal. Hopefully I'd catch enough today to last me a few weeks, but I'd settle for just a good dinner.

I set out at dawn.


After considering my options, I decided to make my way up an old spillway. I hoped it would have fewer obstacles to cross, despite being difficult to leave in an emergency - especially if it started to rain.

Naturally, a quarter of the way up, it started to sprinkle. I trudged on, hoping the weather would clear soon. I was about half-way up when I realized that I had made a big mistake. The rain was still coming down, and the spillway started to fill. Unfortunately, I'd have to go all the way back or all the way up to get out of the spillway. I choose the latter.

Huge mistake.

While I pressed my luck, the rain picked up. Much to my horror, as I reached the end of the spillway, I heard the crashing of water. I did my best to anchor myself, but the walls were worn smooth - I was quickly swept up as the torrent engulfed me.

Swirling, crashing, tumbling head over foot, I flailed about, trying to grab on to anything that might save me. Carried all the way back to the bottom, I thought all was lost as I saw the falls at the end of the spillway. My luck, however, changed drastically as I was able to grab hold of a side a moment before I would have been swept over. I pulled myself to safety and waited for the rain to pass.

After an hour or so, the rain subsided. The noon sun came out and quickly dried up much of the evidence. Humiliated, I was determined to make it to the top - if only to prove my worth.

I climbed, I struggled, I strained in the humid air, but I made it. I made it.

As I set up my web, I knew I wasn't so itsy bitsy after all.

1 comment:

  1. Quite a way to look at a nursery rhyme. A great way at that.

    ReplyDelete