Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fuck Hope

--or--
Why the Greeks were right and hope is the worst thing ever.

Of all the emotions I am subject to, it is hope which vexes me the most. Unfortunately for both my peace of mind and my ability to go to sleep at night, I can not control my hope as I can other emotions.

Hope sucks.

Seriously - who thought up this shit? I mean I guess I'm fairly lucky - my worst hope is to like a girl who finds me attractive. Imagine being a prisoner on death row hoping for a pardon or a revolutionary hoping to make a change in society. It's probably not going to happen, and one must accept that.

And so, I must as well. It's tough though, and nice people make it harder. Their attempts at cheer only hide a reality - it doesn't matter how many fish there are in the sea if you're in the desert.

But no, I listen. I believe that someone is out there. I think that the professional smiles are personal; that accidental interactions are intentional. And so I hope. I think it's possible, when I know it's not.

The only thing I control is myself. Therefore I must not hope, as that brings me sorrow. I should only believe in those things which I control.

Fuck hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment