Sunday, September 1, 2019

Moon Shine

ROUND ROBIN PROMPT: it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

  • Timed
  • Author change denoted by %
  • Some light editing for ESL authors

With a shiver I cursed what had gotten me into this whole predicament. I rubbed my calloused hands up and down my now-raw arms and legs, trying to bring a moment of warmth to my flesh. A noble, but doomed effort - beyond the walls of this pitch-black cabin was tons upon tons of ice and snow.

I shouldn’t have been so cocky. %


I couldn’t help but think back to the final scene of ‘Into the Wild’. How ironic it was that I had just watched the film before going on this trip, and now, stuck in this icy mess, I feared that I would see the same fate as the protagonist in that movie: frozen and alone. Warmed by nothing but my pride coming back to bite me. %

And now the moment that I really don’t want to see. The light of the day is going by. I feel like it’s torturing me, disappearing like that. So slowly. For me every second is an eternity. %

But why do I want the light to disappear faster? Maybe I should enjoy that it feels like an eternity. Maybe I should try to let it all go and stay in now. Deep breath in, deep breath out, one more time, and one more.

And one more until I feel better. It sounds easier when others talk about it, but why is it so hard to do it. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Oh, I remember, they say one should go back to breathing every time the mind starts to wander. Breathe. %

It is natural to do something wrong; we are humans. But our reality is to insist and continue until it destroys our lives. %

It happened. The iciness has conquered my whole soul and body. I may have become an ice queen. The clock struck one am. I felt this sudden urge inside me, controlling me. I couldn’t resist for I was too weak. I started to leave the house and let the night wash all over me. %

I hear wolves howling. Moon shines over my nose, my shoulders. I’m hungry… wait… I can’t feel even hunger. I’m frozen. The snow is fresh and crumbly. One slow step after another. But I crack. I can’t anymore.

So shall I die. In night. In watching this massive white wall of snow’s reflection. Moon shine. Moon shine. I am kneeling down. I lose strength. I lose track. The wolves are getting louder and louder.

And then black.

In sleep I dreamt I was warm. And my beloved came as a wolf, with her friend wolves and laid all around me. Covered me with their fur. And we slept together in moonshine. Until the sun’s rays reach again my long awaited breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment