Saturday, January 2, 2016

Cold Blooded Love

"Sheik, have you been naughty again?"

The snake looked at her and flicked its tongue. Yasmin let out an exasperated sigh as she scooped the small creature up and pointed an admonishing finger.

"I don't know how you keep doing it, but you must stop bringing humans here! They always get scared off by the tail and you know how that makes me feel."

H. Wise 9-9-15
The snake hissed.

"Well, I'd rather be lonely than ugly. And anyway, I have all of you to keep me company!" Even as she said it, the sentiment rang hollow. The snakes were great pets, but she truly desired companionship with something that had arms and could talk.

"Uhm, excuse me?" The man said, bringing Yasmin's attention back to the matter at hand.

"Yes, yes, one second," she answered, then turned her focus back to Sheik. "You behave!" she commanded with a quick tap on the snake's nose - what she affectionately referred to as a 'boop on the snoot'.

Yasmin turned around, set the snake down, and slithered over to the man.

"I'm sorry about all this - the little ones are pretty inventive for a bunch of snakes. I'll get you out in just a moment."

"It's not a big deal - I just got a bit too curious for my own good."

Yasmin undid a couple surprisingly complicated knots and another latch and the makeshift cage opened.

"Well, you're free to go."

"Uh, thanks. And... thanks for not eating me?"

"You're welcome." A brief spark of hope danced in front of her eyes. "Perhaps you'd like to join me for lunch?"

"Oh, ah, well, I have to get some work done. Maybe another day?"

"Sure," she said, ugly and alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment